Have you ever wanted
to be able to build anything on the web?
Be it a blog, a shop, a SaaS app or even a game?
But after some struggle gave up, feeling inadequate, or just procrastinated?
Was learning a struggle for you?
Did it bring up up negative emotions like self-doubt, self-criticism, disappointment and shame?
This is completely understandable.
For most of us, learning has been a traumatic experience.
Most of us dread the moment we need to jump head-on into a new skill or concept. We avoid it, procrastinate, or just half-ass it, thinking: if I didn’t try properly I also cannot fail.
This happens because today’s schools make sure that by the time we graduate, every creative idea, every ounce of joy coming from exploration, is sucked dry out of us. Most of us still remember vividly being shamed by teachers in front of the entire class, or by our own parents for being a “disappointing pupil”.
I won’t even start with how unrealistic intelligence is portrayed in popular media.
Being an academic disappointment myself (barely finished high-school, making 6 figures at 27) I underwent a long process of unfucking all that the educational system has done to me and learned a lot about learning. I never planned on being a teacher, but when I saw how much of a difference can my process make, I never looked back.
There are three main learning factors, done completely wrong in the education system. Fixing them will skyrocket your learning ability and the joy of it:
- Passion. This is dead simple: if you do not have a strong passion to explore a subject, you will never be good at it or good at learning it. You may still dislike certain aspects of it, like a boxer who may hate doing the sprints that he needs for his stamina, but still does them because of his bigger passion: to fight in the ring.
- Accumulating knowledge VS. hands-on experience. Henry David Thoreau explains it best:
“Which would have advanced the most at the end of a month—the boy who had made his own jackknife from the ore which he had dug and smelted, reading as much as would be necessary for this — or the boy who had attended the lectures on metallurgy at the Institute in the meanwhile, and had received a Rodgers’ penknife from his father? Which would be most likely to cut his fingers?”
- Learning style. Each of us has his or her own. Some have a great visual memory, some can read quickly, some get bored from any kind of media and need more challenging hands-own experience. Trying to force one that doesn’t suit us, as the educational system does daily, is a recipe for frustration and failure. “Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” (attributed to Albert Einstein).
Let’s talk now about the course:
- We will find together an idea for an app that you are passionate about. This is the basis for everything.
- We will break down your app and build it step by step, having its scope to fit within three months.
- You will get up to 2 weekly hours of Zoom face time with me. This time is more about the “why” than “how”, but also to help you get unstuck if a particular topic is more challenging.
- Access to my exclusive Slack channel for any questions between calls.
- You will get curated free resources on each of the topics you will learn (you will also learn how to find resources yourself).
Remember the three learning factors?
Here is how they will come into play in the course:
- All the things you will do in the course will be based on your interests. You will always have a clear idea of why you are learning a certain topic and how does it help to achieve your goals. I will rarely give you homework unrelated to what you actually want to know and what will help you to push the project further.
- After each class, you will have homework related to your app. The school teaching method is to first cover a topic, then give homework on it. In our case, you will learn many things by yourself. I will support you, answer your questions and make sure you are not getting stuck.
- There are endless free resources for learning. We will find the most suitable for you and explore together what has the most influence on your learning ability.
And most important of all, we will make sure you enjoy the process!
If you are interested to hear more, schedule a call with me!