And whilst failure in that regard is tolerable for a while, it quickly becomes a limit when learning gets in the way of your desire to build your dream project and finding your dream job.
When people ask me if becoming a coding teacher was my goal in life, the answer has always been no – I definitely never thought I’d become one… until I realized how much value I was bringing my friends, who morphed into students, and what started as 1 quickly became dozens.
That’s why if you want to become one (or even if you don’t), I suggest you fix your learning ability first, by following these three golden rules. This won’t just skyrocket your learning ability, but also bring back the joy of being a beginner again.
- Find something you’re passionate about:This is dead simple: if you hate something, you will never be good at it, let alone at learning it. But even though a boxer might hate doing sprints to increase his stamina, he still does them, to have a good fight in the ring… and win.
- A fine balance between knowledge & experience:I’ll leave this one to Henry David Thoreau to enlighten you: “Which would have advanced the most at the end of a month—the boy who had made his own jackknife from the ore which he had dug and smelted, reading as much as would be necessary for this — or the boy who had attended the lectures on metallurgy at the Institute in the meanwhile, and had received a Rodgers’ penknife from his father? Which would be most likely to cut his fingers?”
- Find your learning style:To each their own: some have a great visual memory, some can read quickly, some get bored quickly and want a more challenging hands-on approach. Trying to force onto yourself one is a recipe for disaster –finding yours and sticking to it is the key to success.
Now that you’ve finally grasped the key to your learning success, let’s understand how those are addressed during our learning sessions:
- Everything we will do together is based on your interests. Why you are learning a topic and how does it help to achieve your goals will always be crystal clear.
- There are endless free resources for learning. We will find the ones that suit your learning style and influence your learning ability the most.
- I will teach you how to use them and learn autonomously. After we cover a topic, homework will follow, along with lots & lots of practical implementations.
- I will never give you homework unrelated to what you actually want to know and what helps you bring your dream project to life…
- I will support you, answer your questions, and make sure you never get stuck.
In the meantime, we will spend a few hours a week discussing your goals. Be it launching your Startup or getting a job as a developer, I’ll help you with that, by:
- Addressing your fears and help you boost your confidence to ace at job interviews, or not feeling fit for the job.
- Analyzing the current market perspectives and opportunities for you to seize. Currently, if one has the right knowledge, the opportunities are ENDLESS.
- Crafting your professional profiles: LinkedIn, CVs, Cover Letters, Portfolios… all the requirements for you to shine in front of recruiters, co-founders, or investors.
- Reaching them out. I’m not going to give you outdated lists full of BS for you to copy-paste messages and flood inboxes with the same old story. I’m going to help you make your own assessments, researches, and send out just a few proposals while having a higher chance of hitting the spot.
Alright, after this read you should have gotten a fair understanding of why fixing your learning ability is essential, and how we, as partners, are finally going to shape that crazy idea you’ve always wanted to forge.
That being said, the next step is to get on a quick 15-minute call, and finally take off!